First, I’ll give you the ‘short cut’, do it now, impulse driven, dive in method and then I’ll describe the details of what it will take when you decide you’re sticking with it.
It can be expensive to just dive in, considering there are tons of different tools that can be needed, depending on what type of jewelry you’re interested in making. Rings for example, require a ring mandrel. Flattened wire requires a hammer and also then a steel bench block. Pendants require a dowel of some sort to create a bale.
So before you buy anything, if you’re brand new to making wire jewelry,
- Think about what you want to make as your first project.
- Look at a ton of images on the internet for ideas and inspiration, get to know what you ‘like’, what you’re drawn to, what excites you, to know what you might want to make.
- As you look at and are inspired by images, pay attention to tools and materials being used or information on what it would take to create such a piece.
- See if there are ‘additional skill sets’ required to complete the desired project. You might need to solder for example and if that’s more than you want to learn in order to create wire jewelry, then perhaps you need to consider a different project… OR put your mind to learning soldering too! 😉
- Learn a bit about the ‘metal’ and how the wire will behave. Wire comes in many gauges, shapes and tensile strengths, all good for different purposes.
- Learn what it takes to ‘complete’ a piece… does it require earring hooks? A pendant bale? Links, head pins, additional beads, chain, clasps?
Get the tools and supplies appropriate for your project. Start with simple materials, craft or copper wires rather than precious metals, beads with holes that are easy to work with.
Visit your local hobby/craft store and purchase a starter tool kit that should contain wire cutters and various pliers, find some fun and beautiful beads, and any findings needed if you’re not making your own.
Get a flat table cleared, some good overhead lighting or a bright table lamp, and a good chair. You’re ready to dive in and just “make something!” You’ll love it and you’ll find it quickly addicting!
Have fun! I hope you found all these helpful.
Visit my jewelry store and shop for unique one of a kind, quality handmade wire wrapped and wire weaved jewelry! And please check out my wire wrapped jewelry tutorials while you’re there! https://www.rockygems.com/store/ptj-perfectlytwisted/